Polling Search Engines

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Wed Nov 23 13:32:03 EST 2005

Martin-

Wednesday, November 23, 2005, 1:04:19 AM, you wrote:

> <http://www.google.com/apis/index.html>

> for how to sign up for a developer key for the Google APIs. Last I heard
> you get 1000 queries per day, each of which may return max 10 results.

And therein lies the rub. If I, say, create an app that uses the
Google API it's linked to my Google developer id. If I then
distribute that app, my developer id is responsible for *all* those
accumulated queries. If my app becomes wildly popular and 1001 people
use it once in a single day, every single one of those copies will
stop working. AND every other app I have created using my developer id
will also stop working.

It gets worse. If I create a library making it easier to use the
Google api from, say, revolution, then every copy of that library is
linked to *my* developer id. And every use of that library counts
against not just me, but any app that has been created using my id.

It's the sort of tech support nightmare that shied me away from ever
wanting to sign up for the developer program. I actually have valid
reasons for wanting to use the api in a couple of applications, but
those restrictions would kill them.

I'd have to make sure that nobody used the apps in order to ensure
that they worked...

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net