Object Orientation in arrays

xavier.bury at clearstream.com xavier.bury at clearstream.com
Tue Nov 22 08:27:29 EST 2005

Ruslan

that's very interesting...

You are kind of confirming my need for multiple tables - a sort of linked
list approach along with
relational lookups/indexes.

The thing is i dont want to convert stream/ xml file to be parsed to
memory to db to memory to xml
file or other formats...

This is still an experiment. The trick would be to handle XUL realtime in
rev GUI for example.

After xul, web services, ajax or other models would be much easier...

Im sure that for long long lists of objects a database like Valentina
would be great... But in a real
time situation, im not sure it's going to be the fastest way to handle
either conversion of xul to rev
objects...

or is it?

cheers
Xavier

use-revolution-bounces at lists.runrev.com wrote on 22/11/2005 13:49:31:

> On 11/22/05 2:08 PM, "David Bovill" <david at openpartnership.net> wrote:
>
> Hi David,
>
> >> BTW, i did try xml into an array, and the problem is still parsing
xml...
> >> Parsing Arrays is much more efficient...
> >
> > Yes - would be a problem for large documents - but XUL and web
> > services are not that large? For anything larger I guess the only
> > choice is a database - Valentina comes to mind due to its clean
> > object-relational mapping? Maybe Ruslan can give some pointers?
>
> Do you talk about mapping of XML document into database ?
>
> A lots issues here can be raised.
>

> > However in general, as I am not strong in database design, I do not
> > know how to structure such dbs with variable nesting - for these
> > reasons I like to shift anything that complex to the domain of open
> > source projects that have spent years tackling it and call them with
> > web services?
>
> Any nested level of XML can be simulated on self-recursive table.
>
> Generally speaking any XML document can be stored into SINGLE
self-recursive
> table.
>
> Also it is possible to use 2 tables for this, to make things little more
> clean.
>
> And of course it is possible use more than 2 tables to get more and more
> specific entities.
>

> ---------
> FYI, we have realize that Valentina with its Object-Relational model is
> perfect for XML work. This have point one my friend, that is teacher in
> university. He say that we must add into Valentina support of XQuery,
DOM,
> DAV, HTTP, ...
>
> I have read many articles about Xquery already, and I start to love this
> idea. SQL is language of Relational model.
>
> Valentina 2 implements not only Relational model, but Navigational
Model.
> I'd say Extended Navigational model (because it can work with sets of
> records).
>
> It is well known, that Navigational model did not have language like
SQL,
> which can in text form express queries to REMOTE server. Now Valentina
have
> great gift -- Xquery standard is almost done. So we going join Xquery
with
> our Navigational model.
>

> For those who wonder. Xquery for example, have ORDER of items:
>         before, after
>
> which do not support SQL. And this is nature of Navigational model.
>
> Well, as I have told, a lots of issues can be discussed here.
>

> --
> Best regards,
>
> Ruslan Zasukhin
> VP Engineering and New Technology
> Paradigma Software, Inc

> http://www.paradigmasoft.com
>
> [I feel the need: the need for speed]

To make communications with Clearstream easier, Clearstream has
recently changed the email address format to conform with industry
standards. The new format is 'firstname.familyname at clearstream.com'.

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream
International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of
this message.

legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically
states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of
its affiliates or subsidiaries.

END OF DISCLAIMER