Living together BUT not married: RR/MC and Linux

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Mon Nov 21 16:43:13 EST 2005

> I never claimed that partially-open projects could not be
> made with Rev.
> All I said is that if a purchaser requires a FULLY OPEN
> solution, by definition that cannot include Rev (or for that
> matter Windows, OS X, or any other non-open parts).
>
> Partially-open solutions are a separate matter, and the
> acceptability of partially-open solutions for a specific
> purchasing agent will depend on that purchasing agent's requirements.

Before Microsoft became so big, they had to put their source code in escrow
to get very big accounts to buy; those big accounts required this because
they didn't want to have a necessary product disappear in a financial
crisis. Same with government bodies (and MS still does this). There's
nothing wrong with it.

Id like to point out here Richard's emphasis of *requirements* vs need/want.
What governments and big institutions need/want/require, they can get
usually by direct negotiation because of the financial value to the
publisher of doing so.

My point is, the GPL isnt a necessity for anyone -- it is a "want" driven by
near religious fervor.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software, Inc

Joining Worlds of Information

Deploy True Client-Server Database Solutions
Royalty Free with Valentina Developer Network
http://www.paradigmasoft.com