Living together BUT not married: RR/MC and Linux

Bob Warren robertum at brturbo.com
Mon Nov 21 15:42:26 EST 2005

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:00:01, Andre Garzia wrote:
 >I think I must step in since I am the only Brazilian in the list.

You may be the only "true" Brazilian on the list, but hopefully I might
pass as an imitation! After 30 years in Brazil they make you Brazilian
whether you like it or not - which is my case (I've been here nearly 32
years).

I am not qualified to discuss the history of Linux in Brazil, so I thank
you for your insights. I just know one or two things clearly:

1. Until recently, most computing in Brazil was done on PCs, using
Windows. MACs were always too expensive for Brazilians, and this seems
to be a continuing trend. A shocking example is the MAC Mini that one
other contributer mentioned: the manufacturer's recommended price is
almost 3 times what it is in the US.

2. The normal way of acquiring software (including Windows) has always
been by pirating. This is not because Brazilians like being "dishonest"
(if that has any meaning at all in this context) or that they "don't
like paying for software" as someone put it recently, but because if
they are to accompany modern technology (as they have always done very
well), it is the only option open to the great majority of the
population. Brazilian salaries are insufficient for survival in a lot of
cases. The so-called "minimum salary" in Brazil is just about sufficient
to buy the cigarettes I smoke! (No joke.)

3. The writing that is on the wall is that nobody will get beyond
Windows XP in this manner. Nor do I imagine that Microsoft and other
large software producers have any intention of changing their pricing
policies to accommodate the world's poor countries. The rich have to get
richer and the poor have to get poorer, and that is the way of
ultra-capitalism and the egocentric proponents of it.

My conclusion is that the adoption of Linux in Brazil is not so much an
option as a necessity, and that it is exactly that neccessity that is
providing the driving-force for a move to Linux. Until recently, Linux
has been too unreliable to use to any significant degree, but that state
of affairs is changing fast. Give it another 2 years....

Personally, I would do ANYTHING to escape the clutches of Microsoft,
especially after the VB6 fiasco. I think that trends are not only things
we try to evaluate in order to predict the future, but what we establish
ourselves because we think they are the right (or perhaps only) paths to
follow. Personally, I couldn't care less about speculation as to what
other people may or may not decide to do. Here in Brazil, Linux is the
only potentially happy solution to a situation which profoundly
disagreeable.

Long live (Ubuntu and Kurumin) Linux and Runtime Revolution!