Living together BUT not married: RR/MC and Linux

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Nov 21 11:16:38 EST 2005

David Bovill wrote:

 > Linux support is not about how many desktops you can sell
 > applications to - it is about the quality of developers
 > you can  attract

I could write apps for the Pope, but if he won't give me something in
return it'll be just as hard for me to pay my rent as writing for slobs.

Classism, in any form, doesn't determine viability.

 > and the ability to deliver intranet

I've been shipping internanet and extranet apps for years, for people
who feel my time is worth giving something back for.

 > and government  contracts (at least here in Europe) which
 > specify support for open  platforms. It is also about being
 > able to leverage the huge amount of  "free" code that is
 > available on this platform and integrate it into  the project.

Depends on the license requirements, doesn't it?  That is, even if I
inherit enough wealth to be able to afford the luxury of working for
free, at the end of the day the RunRev engine isn't open source so it's
not possible for me to deliver truly open materials which rely on it.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal