Living together BUT not married: RR/MC and Linux

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Mon Nov 21 11:13:32 EST 2005

On 21 Nov 2005, at 16:56, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Charles Hartman wrote:
>
>>> Maybe only 1-2% of your typical desktop customers will be using
>>> linux - but I personally would not be using Revolution without
>>> good  Linux support for the reasons above.
>>>

>> And the Brazilian government's policy is worth keeping in mind,
>> and  watching as a plausible trend.
>>

> What is that policy?

Basically they insist on open source solutions for Government
contracts - also very big supporters of open content (Creative
Commons) with Gliberto Gil (Minister of Culture and renowned
musician) being largely responsible for getting Creative Commons to
add the sampling license to their suite of licenses.

I must confess I do not know the details in Brasil - anyone? But here
in Europe out of the last 4 government contracts for projects two
virtually insisted on open source and the other two looked on them
favourably. The forthcoming EU IST5 call I am helping with is no
exception.