You Either Think Graphically or You Don't

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Mon Nov 21 00:25:55 EST 2005

Greg,

I am an artist. I am a creative person and I feel comfortable around
computers. This does not make me a 'programmer'. I started out with
scripting languages because the tools I was using would not do what I
wanted to do and so I started learning how to make my own. I actually
hate coding. I hate having to get syntax right. I hate having to
remember the 'rules' of syntax. But I love solving problems and I
love the rewards in building something myself. I love using the code
and designing a usable interface "That acts like it is supposed to
act". I hate when engineers with no common sense throw something into
a software in an illogical way. I like logical attractive and usable
interfaces with code that does what is should.

Scripting languages look more like english and as such are so much
easier to read through.

I don't do programming, I do interface design that happens to include
some code. I hire programmers to write C, C#, C++ code when I am done
quickly creating a usable interface. This I like to call Rapid
Prototyping and Rev is great for that. I can get a functional visual
idea out to the people that then optimize it for public release.

Does this sound like you?
If so Rev is for you. Start out slow and read through every available
script you can find to see how things are done by others. I am a
visual person and learn better by doing rather than by studying. So
download some stacks and start tearing them apart. Try and break
them. Try and make them do something different than what they do now.
I find this to be the best way to learn.

Good luck

Tom McGrath
Lazy River Software®