RR, AIF files and Ubuntu Linux

Mathewson richmond at mail.maclaunch.com
Mon Nov 14 03:57:47 EST 2005

Dear Alejandro & other interested would-be workers with RR
& Linux,

I recorded all my sound files on a Mac Mini running Mac OS
10.4 - the reason I do things this way is that all my other
computers HUM and spoil my recordings.

The Ubuntu boxes I'm working with are Pentium 3's that do
not have network cards - cheap by Western standards, but
weighing in at the equivalent of the average monthly salary
each, here in Bulgaria. Owing to the lack of network cards
installing software that is not bundled on the Distro CD is
such a pain I'm just not doing it (mind you I did spend a
horrible Saturday "doing" xanim on one of them).

SO - I have 2 'beefs':

1. How 'seamless' transfer of RR stacks really is -

and, pictorially (GIFS, animated GIFS) everything is
completely seamless

soundwise - not very seamless - and the seams require quite
a bit of fancy sewing

2. Ubuntu's sound system (and Ubuntu is based on unstable
Debian)

AND - the obvious thing - how RR and Ubuntu work together.

I have a fantasy - which I would like to believe is not
entirely daft - that there should be at least one
programming suite 'out there' (and, why not let it be MC/RR
after all) that will allow me to program on a Macintosh
computer and then deploy on any platform I choose.

MC/RR comes very near indeed (except RISC OS).

I would like my language school to be a demonstration to
Bulgarian educators that there are alternatives to pirate
versions of Windows and programs written in retro-style
Visual Basic. As Linux (specifically Ubuntu) has been
adopted by the goverment of Macedonia there is a lot of
interest in Linux here - plus, the Bulgarian government
have pointed out that if they can transfer to an Open
Source OS they would have money to invest in a programming
suite (eg. MC/RR) to foster the development of in-house
educational software.

I, personally, would love to PUSH Runtime Revolution
coupled with Ubuntu.

I have tried both embedded AIF files and free-standing ones

- they both play at double speed

As to creating Multimedia elements inside Linux - just at
present I am working flat-out at plastering a classroom,
installing electrical sockets, and authoring the first
month's programs - so, unfortunately, that will either have
to wait, or a better person than me will have to try it.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson
See Mathewson's software at:

http://members.maclaunch.com/richmond/default.html