The Disappearing Desktop - It's Real This Time

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Fri Nov 11 01:25:52 EST 2005

Dan,

Good point about XMLHTTPRequest, but as someone who works with dynamic
content and CSS, I can tell you (and you should know this;-), getting
CSS to perform as expected cross browser and cross OS is nigh impossible
for dynamic content. At least it's not for the faint of heart!

That said and the rest of this discussion notwithstanding, I certainly
cannot fault you for pointing out what you believe is a great 'shift.'
Too bad Scott Raney, the father of Transcript/MetaCard wasn't here to
applaud you for being only 9 years late:-)

His most prescient essay "The Case Against Strained Carrots" described
the web services model before the term 'web services' was created-- back
in 1996! Truly visionary stuff!
http://www.metacard.com/wp4.html

You are correct in that AJAX certainly has more momentum and visibility
than Rev has ever had. And I imagine there are more AJAX apps, even at
this early date, than Rev ones.

The Revolution secret, like the case against strained carrots, I plan to
keep to myself! ;-)

your foil and your turn,

Chipp