The Disappearing Desktop - It's Real This Time

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Thu Nov 10 14:15:32 EST 2005

On Nov 10, 2005, at 11:03 AM, Dan Shafer wrote:

> Trevor.....
>
> On Nov 10, 2005, at 10:33 AM, Trevor DeVore wrote:
>
>> Getting things to work across browsers can be a headache.
>
> Start with the basic assumption that only a browser that groks the
> XMLHTTPRequest object is a candidate for AJAX technology
> deployment. The subset of those browsers is already very far down
> the path of eliminating or minimizing cross-browser problems. The
> problems arise because of the necessity most of us as Web
> developers feel we have to drag along the pre-modern browsers. If
> you focus only on the most recent generation of browsers, the cross-
> browser problems are becoming fewer and fewer, and libraries and
> functions exist to abstract away from those pretty easily.

This is true.  I was just writing something similar to your response
to Chipp.  If you dive into this I would be interested to hear your
experience with it.  My experience with testing apps running inside a
browser in the past has been less than pleasant.  A really good
library for interacting with the DOM that has support for drag/drop
and other interface niceties is a must if you are going to get into
browser based web apps.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia