[OT] Mac OSX Tiger Spotlight function - help

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 20:58:49 EST 2005

On 11/9/05, Jim Ault <JimAultWins at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hopefully someone on the list has solved/developed a workaround for this, or
> perhaps I am missing something in all the docs and preferences.
>
> I am trying to locate, catalog, and update many versions of an SWF that I
> post to a multitude of web sites.  Before Tiger, I simply did a Finder FIND
> and retrieved a listing on all the hard drives, then sorted by modification
> date.
>
> The new Spotlight only seems to use the 'date last opened' for locating and
> sorting, which is useless for me.  Even the date created would work in this
> case, but alas, no,  Spotlight does not have this.
>
> Creating a Smart Folder allows a search on mod and creation date critera,
> but does not list those nor allow sorting.
>
> Is there a way to do this?  Why would Apple not make it possible to search
> on one of the criteria in the Finder database? then get a listing that
> included that criteria?  then allow sorting on one of the criterion?

Hi Jim,

By default, a Smart Folder gives you the items listed in their
categories. But if you click the list button at the top left of the
window (where you normally toggle between column, icon & list views)
you can set it to use the standard list view. Then go to Show View
Options from the View menu and you can choose to show Date created and
sort on that.

HTH,
Sarah