checking removable drives

Martin Baxter mb.ur at harbourhost.co.uk
Fri Nov 4 18:21:20 EST 2005

Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Martin Baxter wrote:
>
>> Perhaps it might be workable to make it a user preference whether your
>> app makes registry entries for its file extensions or not.
>> User-mindset would be an issue to be considered, but this is by no
>> means unheard-of, and I think this is what I would personally prefer
>> from an app that could be run in portable or installed modes.
>

> Of courze _you_ would.  Look at you: you hang out on programming lists. ;)

Troo, no use denying it. (and it's an absorbing and worthwhile activity
which I recommend to any computer user who wants to get wiser).

But that's what my comment about "mindset" was getting at. Those of your
users that have understanding, might just appreciate a feature that
empowers _them_ for a change. Those that lack understanding, well, is
the .exe going to come pre-installed on removable media ? You don't
expect them to install it there by themselves surely ? ;-)

Well yes I accept your point. I suppose you would have to hide this
feature behind the intimidating "Advanced Settings..." button. Like
Hypercard's "magic" password, that nobody thought to tell Phil Schiller
about.

Martin Baxter