checking removable drives

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Thu Nov 3 17:24:43 EST 2005

On Nov 3, 2005, at 8:19 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Garrett R. Hylltun wrote:
> > Actually, running apps from removable devices is far more common
> > and growing in popularity.
>
> How do other portable apps handle the customary behavior of being
> able to launch an app by double-clicking one of its documents?  Or
> it is considered acceptable to blow that off for portable apps?
>
> And if we do ignore that for portable apps, assuming we'd like to
> ship a single app for both portable and installed use, how can we
> know we're running installed so that we could write the file
> association entry to the registry as customers would expect for a
> hard-drive-installed app?

Richard et all,

do we have some kind of autorun.inf for removable drives like we have
for CD-ROMs? If we do, then we could use a small stub app to register
our apps as soon as the drive is plugged, this would be the bes
behaviour, for if we simply fiddle with the registry, then the user
unmount the drive, he'll have some info on the registry and no target
for that info... registering on mount would be cool.

does anyone know if autorun.inf will work on usb drives?

cheers
andre