checking removable drives

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Nov 3 17:15:34 EST 2005

Trevor DeVore wrote:
> On Nov 3, 2005, at 2:05 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>

>> With Rev's ability to read and write the Windows directory, it  would
>> be simple enough to make the registry entries for the file  type
>> association.  But for true portability this should not happen  when
>> running from a removable drive, the goal being zero-footprint  when
>> the drive is removed.
>

> Can't you just clear out the registry entries when the app quits?   Even
> if your app crashes, it would clean itself up next time it ran.   This
> way while the app was running people could double-click files  and have
> them open in your app.

We could, but it obviates the biggest benefit of the file-type
association:  being able to launch the app by double-clicking a document.

We'd still get that behavior on Mac, just not on Win or Linux (the
latter has messy and inconsistent mechanisms for such associations
anyway; barely worth bothering with until the teams that make Linux
window managers get together and use a single simple standard).

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal