[Slightly OT?] Why It's Hard to Explain Rev

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Wed Nov 2 17:33:12 EST 2005

When HyperCard was my development tool of choice, I often bemoaned
the fact that Apple itself seemed unable to articulate what HyperCard
really was. "It's a digestive aid AND a floor wax!" In my baser
moments, I wondered if the problem wasn't that Apple was just too
dumb to get it.

I've had the same sort of experience with Rev. It has, as Yogi Berra
is wont to say, "Deja vu all over again." Is it a database or an
application tool or a development environment? Is it for
professionals or serious amateurs? Today, one of my favorite
newsletters, Good Experience by one of the brightest designers and
thinkers in the Web universe, Mark Hurst, has an explanation for why
this is the case.

"A good experience is rich, something worth exploring, telling others
about, and experiencing again. It's overdetermined - or holistic - or
*integrated*. And being integrated makes it (often) hard to explain,
since one can't truly reduce an integrated whole to a simple cause."

Well said, I think, and an apt description of Revolution's many-
faceted appeals.

http://www.shafermedia.com
 From http://www.shafermediastore.com/tech_main.html