custom propertieset woes

Claudi Cornaz claudi.c at fiberworld.nl
Fri May 27 07:09:08 EDT 2005

Hi List,

I hope someone can help me, because I just don't get it.
I have a field with some custom propertie sets. The sets are named
uxxxxxxxxx where xxxxx is a unique number.
Each set has two properties. One is a list of a subset of the set names
and the other is just some text, like the example below.

setName: u123456
                                   [uSubSet]  u234567
                                                       u345678
                                                       u 456789
                                   [uText]     some text

setName: u 234567
                                  [uSubSet]   u826545
                                                       u876543
                                     [uText]     some text

setName: u u826545
                                  [uSubSet]   u858743
                                                       u158741
                                     [uText]     some text
etc.

Now I take a initial propertyset and  extract the subSet and iterate
through this subSet
(with of course the iteration through that subSet's subSet)  to get all
the subSets.
The weird thing is the first iteration works perfect. The second and
all subsequent ones
failed, returning a empty subList (which isn't empty at all)
After putting a line in the script to put the subList into a field for
checking, the second iteration
suddenly started to work but the third and all subsequent ones still
returned empty.

I use thefollowing  construct  to get the subSet (where tPropName is
the name of a property set)
put "put the" && tPropName & "[uSubList]" && "of fld" && quote &
"topicList" & quote && "into tSubList"  into tCommandStr
do tCommandStr

So in the debugger I copied tCommandStr and tried it in the msg box
(without the part "into tSubList" offcourse).
While the script is halted, 'cause of a breakpoint the command in the
msg box will return empty.
After aborting the script at that point and hitting return in the msg
box again I get the expected result.
Why will it work in the msg box and not in the script?

Next I added a line in the script to output all the tCommandStr's to a
field. When I copy them to the msg box they all
work as expected but still the script returns empty after the second
iteration.
How is this possible?  It's driving me nuts. Why should a line in a
script work 2 iterations but not a third time?

I hope someone can shed some light on this so I can understand what's
going on.
I will be using propertiesets extensibly in almost all the programming
I do so it's quite important
for me to understand what is happening.

Best regards,

Claudi