is there a best anti-viral program for Revolution?

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Thu May 26 11:53:20 EDT 2005

Al, Richard, Rev

In terms of security, if rev wasn't built with a sandbox mode to
start with, it's futile to debate this. Some things may be innaccessible
but there's always a way...

Typing paswords in the clear for one... A JOKE for any security aware
professional IT person! You can add hash this and encode that and ssh and
secure it after. But it will be like windows... patch after patch.

im wont forward much info on the subject - for professional and security
ethical reasons. Just trust me that rev has little security clearance in my
professional opinion. It may encrypt which is the basics of safe keeping but
if i spend a day in secure mode your disk stands no chance.

This was part of a plan i had for RunRev which Kevin didn't seem too
interested in getting. I know he gets lots of suggestions but mine weren't
cacamini suggestions - they were regarding the whole engine and i've tried
to convince even Scott about quality = security but my words are usually
misinterpreted. It's frustrating to see that we're still not anywhere in
this respect. I resent the feeling that i couldn't help improve these "bad
qualities" in their great product but seeing things how they go and with
much ignorance regarding the runrev build process and structure, it wouldn't
have helped IMOHO.

Now, to be really safe:

- You need a frontscript - trap all writing handlers and find the bad
ones... It will be annoying though... Make rev slower... Or just insure
secure mode is on right?

Security starts first with the Software you run that any of us send over the
maillist. How many of you actually put yourself in securemode before opening
a url stack in the message box?

How many of us did know about secure mode? I dont remember seeing it! ;)

BUT, and this is where it gets funny, Im the stack programmer and i decide
when to change the secure mode, so all your files are mine aren't they now?

Can security be cascaded through objects? Hum... Interesting...

cheers
Xavier
http://monsieurx.com