Zooming in on an image

Ben Fisher jamon.ben at gmail.com
Wed May 25 23:15:55 EDT 2005

I'm wondering what is the most efficient way to resize a large image.
 I'm trying to create a "zoom-in" effect by displaying a 600x800 image and
then slowly increasing the dimensions of the image (while still keeping the
image centered on the screen). Ideally this would be smooth and non-cpu
intensive.
 I wrote some code to do this. However, the results look awkward at best. At
first, the zooming in is rapid, but then it slows down. After a while (when
the zoom factor is about 4), the computer is bogged down and the image
change is very slow and jerky. I would like to keep the rate even, although
I will not know the processor speed of the client's machine. It is
disheartening to me to see the performance so lousy on a Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz.
 Does anyone know a better way to "zoom in" images? It shouldn't be so
processor-intensive - I tried "Preview" in WinXp and images easily zoom in
and out without any lag.
 -Ben F