Stack file size

Lars Brehmer larsbrehmer at mac.com
Thu May 26 07:46:43 EDT 2005

Hi Signe Marie and Xavier!

Thanks for the suggestions and tips!  Maybe I misunderstand the
structure of Rev stacks, but first of all, my stacks work perfectly
and lightning fast - I just thought it was interesting that the file
sizes got so large, but now that they are slimmed way down and i know
how to keep it that way, I am an extremely happy camper.

Again, though, unless I misunderstand the structure of such stacks, I
really don't see much of a difference between your two (more
advanced) methods and my simple one.  I mean if every single object
on the cards is in the background, doesn't this mean that there is
basically one card and all the hundreds and thousands of others are
nothing more than a collection of field contents and custom
properties?  And isn't this comparable to a collection of database
records?  To be honest, I shy away from using the database solution
for 2 reasons - one, I lack the knoweldge and skills to implement it,
and two, I see on the RevList people with far more skills than I
having all kinds of problems with databases every day, which makes me
even more hesitant.  True, as I learned in the discussion a week or
so ago, custom properties are faster than fields (that's why I
changed as many as possible to custom props), and Signe Marie's
project apparenetly uses all custom properties and no fields, as long
as my thing functions as well and as fast as it does, I think I'll
stick to it just because it works and I understand it.  Thanks for
the suggestions, though, I will certainly examine them closely
sometime down the road!

Cheers,

Lars