Tiger weirdness revisited

Lars Brehmer larsbrehmer at mac.com
Mon May 23 09:56:40 EDT 2005

Howdy again!

I have made some progress in understanding the weirdness in Tiger
with stacks using windowShape.  Maybe someone can use what I've found
to actually figure this one out.

Some of you may recall this from about 2 days after Tiger was
released.  Certain windowShapes don't display properly on machines
running Tiger.  Klaus, Gordy and Sarah have confirmed this and Gordy
came up with a workaround that was a good start. I've been fooling
around with this again for the last 2 days and made an interesting
discovery that might help one of you real pros get to the bottom of
this.

To recap the problem.  Stacks using a windowShape that has a sort of
semi-circular protrusion on the bottom get a weird shadow when using
rev or my standalone running Tiger.  Also a windowShape that is
nothing more than a rectangle with slightly rounded corners had a
different strange appearance, but only in some cases.

As Klaus knows, I experimented for hours and found that the rectangle
with rounded corners displays fine in Tiger, but ONLY if the width of
the stack is 698 pixels of less (!!?!??!)  Now, I'm no pro, but I
think I know enough consider  this to be bizarre!  What can the
significance of 698 pixels possibly be?  Also, Gordy found a
workaround that I am using - before I had the different window
background images in a separate stack with all my graphics for button
icons, etc, and in the stack backgrounds a button with the image as
its icon, and the windowShape set to the image ID.  These images were
in most cases png24's with transparency, created in Photoshop
elements.  Klaus pointed out that windowshape in rev theoretically
only supports 2 bit masks, so I recreated the exact shapes with black
gif's, but these didn't work either.  Gordy found that if you have
both the gif and the png in the stack background and set the shape to
the gif, it works (almost).

Here's the interesting catch/clue.  I copied my standalone to my
other machine running Panther - everything fine.  I did a clean
install of Tiger, copied the app over again and the strangeness was
back.  Then I installed Runrev  on the machine, restarted and copied
the app over again and the problem was gone.  So for now the question
is what is it about Runrev and Tiger that effects a standalone made
with Runrev even when Runrev is not running?  The first clue to this
"intertwining" between Rev and Tiger came when I noticed at one point
that if I booted my machine and opened my standalone, the weirdness
was there, but if after booting I opend the Stack in the standalone
package in Rev first, then closed rev and opened the standalone the
weirdnes was gone! I mean shouldn't a standalone be able to "stand
alone?"  I certainly can't expect somebody who has Tiger and wants to
use my app to buy Rev just to get it to display properly, right?
There is something about the relationship between Rev and Tiger that
is different from between Rev and Panther and I hope one of you out
there might just say Ah Hah! Elementary! It's.......

When I first posted this (before lots of experimentation and with
fewer concrete clues) only Sarah, Gordy and Klaus responded (big
thanks again!).  By now I hope a lot more of you are using Tiger and
maybe found some other little problems and found solutions that might
have some bearing on this one :-)

And one other oddity in Tiger.  When my standalone launches, certain
stacks  and substacks are opened invisibly while the splash screen is
visible, and then shown when the splash screen disappears.  This
always caused some flicker, even using lockScreen,  until I followed
a suggestion from the list to open the stacks
"offscreen" (-5000,-5000) and then set the location to somewhere
onscreen. Worked like a charm with a tiny Tiger-related problem.  The
first time I lauch my standalone after booting the machine, those
stacks appear onscreen in the upper left corner and then switch to
their end locations.  On subsequent launches they show up flicker
free at their proper locations.  Any ideas on this one?

Otherwise Tiger has been an absolute dream for everything I do ;-)

Cheers again!

Lars