[ANN] [EN] [FR] So Smart Software introduces Color Picker 1.1 and Guides Picker 2.1

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri May 20 18:35:46 EDT 2005

Chipp Walters wrote:
> Perhaps you should consider a license similar to what Devolution has?
> One that allows individuals to use your products for free, but then pay
> if they want to include them in their own products. This way you could
> generate some cash from those wishing to avail themselves of your hard
> work :-)

The devolution (lower-case, in keeping with its knuckle-dragging,
self-depricating motif <g>) model works okay for developer tools because
that way everyone gets to play at no cost, and only those who need
support or want to use parts of the code in their own work have the
payment option.

But sometimes I like to give stuff away that's also designed for use in
another's product, and for those I have another license which says they
can do that for free too as long as I get a "Portions copyright" note in
the About box along with RunRev, and external vendors, etc.

The only downside to receiving a license fee is the expectation of
support; sometimes giving stuff away can be more profitable, in that you
get some value (the About plug) but have no ongoing support obligation.

Of course there's always the middle path of accepting donations, but I'm
not sure how many people actually donate.  If anyone needs to donate to
me they can just buy a product and never request support. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation