Deleting a folder doesn't work!!!

xbury.cs at clearstream.com xbury.cs at clearstream.com
Fri May 20 02:15:45 EDT 2005

As a side note, the revDeleteFolder will work in XP or W2K3 but still the
fact that they use a shell command instead of enhancing that bit of code
in the engine
brings a lot of questions... How hard would that have been? 15 minutes
coding for
any reasonable coder per platform (or for all platforms depending on the C
IDE they
use).

For one, this solution is less compatible and prone to errors if anything
is wrong or different in shell - like for W2K where neither command
exists!

A win32 api call wouldn't have caused as much trouble, required less
resource (?)
and certainly would be faster!

DelTree will work only in win9x.

RD.exe would have worked everywhere where
char 1 of the os version = 5 which is the revDeleteFolder check... And
this includes
windows 2000.

LAST but not least, the revdeleteFolder uses shell(command) without a
start... so
while you delete some 70 GBs of data and folders, RunRev would seem to
hang. If you have
a hugue number of errors, you might also overload the get shell return
conditions... Trust me,
this happens...

So if you hope to use RunRev on w2k, you need to change the back script
handler. if you want
a real delete folder solution, write your own script and call it via
RunRev.

Just my 2 wincents preventing further bugzillas, disasters and better Rev
satisfaction ;)

regards,
Xavier

On 20.05.2005 06:46:47 use-revolution-bounces wrote:
>> Is this a) an accident, b) a good thing c) something that
>> will be cleaned up in future versions of rev d) none of the
>> above or e) all of the above?
>
>hopefuly it's item C but given it's age i just as well might have to
write a
>real engine suggestion bugzilla ;)
>
>I know rev means well otherwise they wouldn't have put that one in to fix
>the other's impairment. Unfortunately i only got one shot at this job so
>wont be able to try if rev's command is up to par with the real shell
>commands.
>
>After analysis, im glad i didn't even try... They use shell commands with
>deltree or rmdir which happen to return "not recognized" in my W2K
systems!
>They dont even test for availability!
>
>Then i also noticed that they dont even reset the hideconsoleWindows
>property to what it was before they changed it!
>
>Last but not least, in RevDeleteFolder, most of shell commands will fail
at
>work and dont support a lot of standards we need in even just copying
files
>(like security and audit properties of files and folders in some cases.
>
>Same thing for revCopyFolder. Some xcopy switches were not used and might
be
>more appropriate for some uses. Make sure you test.
>
>Woah! Good thing i didn't waste my time trying revDeleteFolder... Rev is
not
>the best for everything although it's quite good for most. Just make sure
>you test before commiting a revHandler to production.
>
>I wont say anymore what's coming for you soon in TAOO but sure it's going
>work better and harder and with many more options.
>
>cheers
>Xav

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com
IMPORTANT MESSAGE    Internet communications are not secure and therefore
Clearstream International does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.    The information contained in this e-mail is
confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the
addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it,
is prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states
them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of its
affiliates or subsidiaries.    END OF DISCLAIMER