altSQLite versus Valentina for Rev

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Mon May 16 12:17:54 EDT 2005

On May 16, 2005, at 6:51 AM, Joel Guillod wrote:

> What a good opportunity to explain you some of the reasons why you
> probably miss so many users. My own experience of Valentina has been a
> failure because I have never been able to easily operate Valentina
> with Hypercard/Supercard and more recently with Revolution. Dont reply
> that I should not be an adequate programer, just search the Rev
> archives to understand that many  Revolutionados have made attempts to
> use Valentina with many difficulties and switched to another solution.

To be fair, the majority of the problems with Valentina had to do with
using externals in the standalone and/or the combination of revdb and
valentina.  Implementing externals in projects can sometimes be tricky
and cause problems whether you are using Valentina or any other
external.

> Also be aware that altSQLite has been released with the following
> advantages among others:
> - many altPlugins are provided for free and has been proven very
> usefull and well polished;
> - the altSQLite Demo stack is very well designed and just ready to use
> sample: you open it, it just works and you can see the sample scripts;
> - affordable price;
> - SQLite is widely recognized by many other developers: see PHP for a
> single instance, not to say the MacOSX Tiger integration.
> - last but not least: speed development time. I spend many days
> failing to deal with Valentina user guides where I have been able to
> create a DB and to write error free scripts with altSQLite in just
> minutes.
>
> Yet there is a problem with altSqlite under MacOSX 10.3.9 which
> crashes Revolution in some circonstances but I am confident that
> Chipp/Altuit will fix that soon. As Revolution developers we know that
> he is very active and reactive. You have proven the opposite. There
> was (is? I didn't check recently) no Revolution sample stack for
> Valentina.

I'm not sure if you are on the Valentina mailing list or not but Ruslan
is one of the most helpful developers I have ever come across.  True
there is not example stack and Chipp has created an *excellent* example
stack but to say that Ruslan has proven the opposite is a not a fair
statement.

> Also some arguments in favor of Valentina are not so important for
> most of our applications:
> - speed is most often an issue when users have large databases which
> is not the case for most of us;
> - price can be an issue: I am not sure that many of us are selling
> their applications to valuate Valentina more than the free Postgres or
> MySQL DBMS;

Revolution has many different types of users so it is hard to group
"us" together.  My company sees speed as a very important consideration
when choosing a database and $299 is a small fee to pay for for adding
a tool to our toolbox that meats our needs.

> - Those DBMS are supported by many developers and we dont know what
> would happen to Valentina I you disappear tomorrow. SQLite source code
> is available and free. What a warranty for our data;

Valentina supports SQL.  If it were to disappear tomorrow you could
migrate your database to another vendor without much hassle.  In fact,
right now I develop databases using MySQL and then deploy to the client
using Valentina.  All of the database creation is coded so it is a
one-click process.

> - multiusers capability require another process to execute Valentina
> and those DBMS. I dont see any advantages of one over the others if
> you'd like to release an easy installation to users.
> My last comment is that competition is good! As developers we really
> thank Altuit to have written the SQLite plugin because this finally
> forces Paradigma Software Inc to seriously watch for the Revolution
> developers to give them the consideration and support they actually
> missed until today. BUT be aware that the time is very short not to
> loose the market today! Dont do war, build tools which prooves you
> make the developers' life easier!

Competition is good.  It is great that Altuit has provided a SQLite
external for us because it offers more choices.  Sometimes SQLite will
be a great solution.  Sometimes a project requires features not
available in SQLite.  I'm glad to have both options available to me.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia
trevor at mangomultimedia.com