Be Cautious About MySQL Licensing (was Re: Database suggestions?)

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon May 16 04:16:46 EDT 2005

On 5/16/05 10:39 AM, "Chipp Walters" <chipp at chipp.com> wrote:

Hi Chipp,

Oh, sorry, I have only now realise that you are from Altuit.

Please take my best wishes, and be sure, that we not going to make any war.
We just talk and discuss. Okay?  :-)

> Also, I notice you make mention of 'locking' records. If you use this
> trick for SQLite, you are adding needless cycles to the benchmark. The
> SQLite database is a 'single-user' database, and has no need for locking
> records in the Revolution environment. I would think you, as a
> proficient database expert (unlike I) would of course know this?

I have told:
    IF YOU develop multi-thread application.

Look, even single user engine can be used in multi-thread application.
For example, may be developer want make in his app several windows which
show different records. For example, MS Entourage can show several browsers
for your letters.

So, if app have several threads, and threads do concur for records, then you
must have locks. SQL Lite do not have locks as I know, and probably never
will. It is pointed and developed as single-user. Developer can try
workaround this adding own column. But this means update/scan of the whole
table to set 0/1. SQL Lite is slow on such operation.

OF COURSE, I think 90% of developers do not need such complex applications
and can live without record locks. Just I have see once attempt to make
around SQL Lite multi-user solutions. That was simply stupid step. Just
impossible.

> A last challenge: Why don't you create a great Demo for Valentina in
> Revolution? I believe if you do, you may find you can increase your
> sales and help out our community. If you're interested in viewing ours,
> please see:
> http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/altSQLiteCover/default.htm

:-) We just only have to start develop Valentina 2.0 for Revolution.

> Also, I noticed you're still selling Valentina for Revolution 1.1.1.
> We're now up to version 2.5.1. I know your users are eager for you to
> update!

Valentina works with 2.5.1 with no problems. Do not worry.

> And at $299 for both Mac and PC, that would make it 3X as expensive as
> altSQLite. And of course, altSQLite also includes Linux.

I think when developer is going to sale own application, and make big money,
difference in $200 do not matter.

When 5-6 years Valentina have come to C++, Director, and other markets,
here did play db engines worse of Valentina and they did ask price $600-700.
Valentina have reduce this price level.

Also I think Application/Solution developer when choose db engine should
think in the first turn about future users of his application. How fast they
will get result?

What will prefer your users? Get answers in 0.1 of seconds or 1 minute ?
Will affect this your sales? Of course.

-------------------------------
For example, this is one of Valentina developers
    http://www.sonnysoftware.com/

His application have 4-5 strong competitors on the market.
He was happy when told me, that HIS users say WOW!!!
    Your Bookends is MANY times faster of competitor
    (which have use 4D btw). Bookends can do practically live searches.
    even on very big databases.

You can see his users feedback on right side.

--------------------------------
About Linux.

We going port Valentina to Linux. Soon. No doubt.
But I wonder and want ask developers on this list.
Does Linux bring you real sales ?

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin