Be Cautious About MySQL Licensing (was Re: Database suggestions?)

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon May 16 03:59:44 EDT 2005

On 5/16/05 10:39 AM, "Chipp Walters" <chipp at chipp.com> wrote:

Hi Chipp,

> Welcome to our list Ruslan :-)
>
> I'm no database expert, though you can find plenty of them on the SQLite
> open source website: www.sqlite.org
>
> I challenge you to post your benchmarks there if you're serious about
> getting a response. There you'll find more of the 'war' I believe you're
> searching for.

:-) no,

SQL Lite is not direct competitor to Valentina.
mySQL and Postgre yes, in the same category

I give that info you DEVELOPERS and users of dbs.
Because I think you should be informed about possible limits you can stick.

> Though, I can point to some speed facts about the program:
>
>  From the SQLite.org home page:

> "A series of tests were run to measure the relative performance of
> SQLite 2.7.6, PostgreSQL 7.1.3, and MySQL 3.23.41. The following are
> general conclusions drawn from these experiments:

I have see their home page and read tech notes and made own tests.

By the way, note on their page the size of database they bench.
It seems about 1000 (one thousand) records.

They name this a "serious" bench?  :-)

Any DBMS show its behavior only if you bench on database that have size AT
LEAST 2-3 times bigger of RAM. So if you have RAM 512MB please do bench on
db 1.5GB....then you will see truth only.

> I believe the absense of Valentina benchmarks only indicates they chose
> to compare against some of the more popular databases, and ones who's
> source code was 'open' for all to see.

Well, Valentina is not so popular as mySQL. This is true.
We all perfectly understand, that if tomorrow mySQL will start charge at
least $300 then its "popularity" disappear.

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin
VP Engineering and New Technology