bad word checker

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Wed May 11 01:07:10 EDT 2005

On May 10, 2005, at 9:52 PM, Dar Scott wrote:

> On May 10, 2005, at 10:17 PM, Mark Talluto wrote:
>

>> Anyone of any ideas on the list?
>>

> For a product-key task, recently, I omitted vowels from the set of
> allowed characters to avoid bad words.  The set also had digits.
> In that approach you still might have things show up that look bad,
> but in my tests that didn't seem to be happening.
>
> Another approach would be to omit all words, bad or not, by using
> some sort of spell checker library includes bad words.
>
> I'm with you about maintaining the bad word list.  I once managed a
> discussion email list and had to set up my bad word filters.
> Blach!  It's worse than searching through the spam bucket for
> missed mail.  Since I'm naive, there are probably lots of words I
> don't know and I'm upset about the ones I do know.

Thanks Dar,

Removing vowels is a good solution, but will not work as there are
required vowels on the letters to be generated.  I do have to make
sure the software does not generate "good" words as well as the
"bad".  Turns out that a spell checker list that was created for MC
some years ago by some good soul has what I am looking for.  With the
good and the bad mixed together, I will never have to focus on them.

Thanks for your thoughts.

-Mark