Table Field Docs?

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Tue May 10 06:56:37 EDT 2005

On May 9, 2005, at 8:24 PM, Peter Reid wrote:

> I'm very keen to use table fields but need to know how to load and
> unload a complete table field quickly and efficiently.  I've seen some
> of the earlier messages which mention "revReadCellValue",
> "revWriteCellValue", "cREVTable[]", "revDisplayFormattedData", but NO
> complete documentation for how to manipulate and display table fields.
>
> It is somewhat of a cheat to claim that Rev supports "Spreadsheet
> fields" (see http://revolution.runrev.com/section/features.php for the
> claims)
> but then doesn't provide ANY documentation for how to actually use
> them apart from when attached to database queries!!  Moreover, if you
> try to apply general field manipulation techniques things go really
> weird with edited cells still containing old values, etc.
>
> Specifically, I want to be able to:
> - load/unload a complete table in one go

put tableContent into field "Table Field"     -- put data into complete
table
put field "Table Field" into tableContent     -- get complete table data

> - clear a table

put empty into field "Table Field"

> - address individual cells for reading/writing

set the itemDelimiter to tab                                   -- the
lines in a table field have the columns separated by tabs

put 6 into item 5 of line 7 of field "Table Field"   -- row 7, column 5
put item 3 of line 2 of field "Table Field" into mycell   -- row 2,
column 3

> - fix the number of columns when tabbing across

not sure what you mean by this one?

> - have table column headings that scroll as the data table scrolls

Hmm, you could put the headings in another table immediately above the
one they belong to, set the tabStops the same, eliminate the
scrollbars, make it non-editable, and put a bit of code in the main
field ("Table Field") to keep the horizontal scrolling in sync.  I did
something like this with an experimental stack I had started at one
point.

Then you could format the other table field however you want.