Update to 2.5 from 2.2????

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Thu May 5 00:31:31 EDT 2005

At 8:35 PM -0700 5/4/05, Brian Yennie wrote:
>What if the Standalone Builder defaulted to a unique creator code
>based on your license information? Exclude common known creator
>codes also, and it would seem that different developers' standalones
>would no longer interfere with each other. An individual developer
>could of course carefully pick one.

To do that, RunRev would have to register at least one signature for
each customer, which doesn't seem practical. (Signatures aren't
arbitrary; they're assigned by Apple, and it's a big no-no to roll
your own because it risks tromping on a legitimate, assigned
signature that's in use for another application.)

I think I agree with Jacque - there's no really good way around this.
I think HC defaulted to using a second creator signature (not
HyperCard's, but another reserved one), and this may be the best that
can be done, short of physically not permitting the user to build a
standalone without entering a signature.

(I think I'd put up a warning message when someone builds with the
default signature, though, just for general awareness.)
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ revolution at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com