Internet Time

Gordon Webster gwalias-rev at yahoo.com
Wed May 4 09:41:43 EDT 2005

As I said in my previous post, if you do:

     convert the internet date to seconds

it doesn't account for the timezone. However, the
following rev construction:

    the last word of the internet date

gives you the correct offset to GMT. Here in
Cambridge, MA, I get '-0400' which is correct since
both Cambridge and London are on DST (local standard
time + 1 hour).

I must therefore add 4 hours (and zero minutes) worth
of seconds onto my local time (taking account of the
sign of the offset).

The complications arise in knowing which countries are
currently using DST and which are not, especially
since even the countries that do use it, do not all
"spring forward" or "fall back" on the same day.

There are databases online that list which countries
use DST and when they change. Perhaps using a cunning
HTTP script, somebody could create a "World Time
Stack" ;-)

Best

Gordon