tikiwiki, RSS, French, and changing the world

Marielle Lange M.Lange at ed.ac.uk
Wed May 4 06:27:02 EDT 2005

Xavier,

(thanks for answering with a meaningful title, I was juggling with the webmail
interface I use to check my work account from home and noticed the absence of
title right after pushing on "send").

>>I regularly have a look at your blogs and forums. My intention
>>was not to  create concurrence, only to create a resource
>>targetting a more specialized public.

>Im honored ;) And "concurrence" better known as "competition" in english
>is actually healthy so i'll be glad if you do - the more we have of runrev out
>there,  the more likely it will be see by others! ;))

Glad to know that still kicks in when I write emails late in the evening,
despite having been for 5 years in English speaking countries (Australia and
then Scotland) and with very little opportunities to speak my native French
(the only thing my fiance ever learned to say in French is "S'il vous plait. Je
suis perdu. Pouvez-vous m'aider?"- I let non French speakers be lost at what
this means, this is only fair). :-))) So many users on this list contribute in
their non native language! My English is good enough that I do not feel any
"shame" when expressing myself in English, but there is something frustrating
about the fact that I cannot anymore use French the way I was able to (you
know, knowing the meaning of very rare words, using the exact word in the right
context, playing with the ambiguity of meaning of some words, playing with the
rhythm of the sentence, the melody of the language) and will probably never be
able to do so in English (I learned it too late, studies show that you should
learn a second langauge before the age of 7-10 to have a chance to reach
native-like competency in pronunciation and grammar).

>Unfortunately, I went the PHPNuke way - it was the right "wiki" at
>the time and it's quite powerful. Also easy to manage but not
>always easy to modify ;)

I gave a try to PHPNuke as well. There are so many different content management
systems, nowadays! It is a nightmare to decide the one that best suits your
needs. What got me adopt tikiwiki is that (1) it is well designed, easy to
manage (but I will need to redesign the interface), (2) the first tikiwiki was
about "gathering various tikiwiki users and contributors interested in changing
the world." That's exactly what I have always wanted to do ;-).

>True but in this case. I had rss feeds on my website and for those of
>Metacard list too. But the MC rss never moved and i'd rather have people
>come to my site for the news
>IMOHO...

Agreed, never changing RSS feeds give a negative rather than positive image of
revolution. We may need to wait to reach a critical mass of 50 in the
revolution webring for it to be worthwhile.

Anyway, I guess that French, CMS and RSS are a bit out of topic for a revolution
list. Changing the world probably not.

Cheers,
Marielle