OT : PearPC

Lynn Fredricks lynn at paradigmasoft.com
Tue May 3 16:21:45 EDT 2005

> Well, Lynn, while I wouldn't disagree with your perspective,
> I would nonetheless argue that a world-class technology
> product with few marketing resources and no legal clout will
> get buried by a competitive product which, though inferior,
> has more marketing money and/or legal backing 99 times out of 100.
>
> While it's certainly true that you can spend gobs and gobs of
> money and still end up with a total failure, it's less likely
> than having a total failure from *lack* of marketing
> resources. And given a market with two products characterized
> as I did above, the one with more marketing will beat the
> superior product with mind-numbing regularity.

Right, and there's my point -- its about sufficient marketing *resources*,
which includes having competent marketing for whatever your budget is. Not
having enough money is a contributing but different factor. The commonality
is that they are both the result of poor management decisions.

There are many vendors that field technically superior products then crash
and burn, and their argument is that they were outspent or overwhelmed by a
superior force (which is almost as genuine as "the customers just didn't get
it"). In many instances, the vendor _never really marketed at all_ and
thought that superior technology or vision of superior technology would
carry the day.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President