How to start Rev by shell or startup item in the background under Mac OS X

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Mon May 2 20:58:21 EDT 2005

Pierre,

If you just need access to port < 1024, I believe it's possible to make
root the owner of the application and have access from a GUI app... but
I doubt the app will run without Cocoa.

I don't think anything other than the Darwin/CGI engine will run on
MacOSX if you cannot have Cocoa or XWindows. A while back I talked to
Tuviah about a custom Darwin engine with database external embedded and
a fork() command for this specific task but I ended up going a
different route.

I'd say your best (and only other option on MacOS) is to use the Darwin
engine. Note that this is not just for CGIs - it can open regular
stacks under XWindows. Maybe you could have some sort of XWindows stub
libraries installed, or set the DISPLAY to something null. If you could
suppress XWindows, it would probably work.

- Brian