Printing examples?

graham samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Thu Mar 31 08:15:19 EST 2005

Folks, it's a long time since I've tried to develop a printing routine
in RunRev and I find I want to do quite simple stuff that I would
imagine other people have done dozens or even hundreds of times, which
is to print a field of indefinite length on however many pages it takes
to print it on, respecting the preset paper size and print margins and
adding in stuff like page numbers and maybe running headers. I see that
it is all possible (apart from my long-standing gripe that a RunRev
script can't know the actual size of the available printable area on
any specific printer) but I am surprised to say the least that I have
to reinvent the wheel in this way.

Would anyone be kind enough to point me at a reasonably simple
multi-page print routine? I couldn't find one in the published
examples, apart from Hugh Senior's PrintA4 from his Scripter's
Scrapbook, which I'm looking at now (thanks Hugh) but it doesn't do
exactly what I was expecting.

While I'm asking for help with printing, can anyone explain what I do
to get a print dialog (not the page setup dialog) to come up on a PC?
According to the RunRev documentation:

> The open printing with dialog form opens the print dialog box on Mac
> OS systems. On Unix or Windows systems, this form acts like the open
> printing form, and no dialog box appears. If the as sheet form is
> used, the dialog box appears as a sheet on OS X systems.

Well, I would like a dialog box to appear, as it does on all mainstream
PC apps including Microsoft's own, so how is it done (I should say I'm
developing on a Mac at the moment, and a quick trip to my XP machine
does confirm this; but if anyone has the answer it would save further
experimentation)?

TIA

Graham