Is there a tutorial for Property Inspector, Standalone window and message box menubar?

Howard Bornstein howard.bornstein at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 12:02:03 EST 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 07:02:56 EST, Stgoldberg at aol.com <Stgoldberg at aol.com> wrote:
> I would not have gotten involved with Revolution, though, without having
> that previous experience with HyperCard, since the program seems to presume
> significant prior knowledge on the part of the user.

>How the Property Inspector works should be basic knowledge provided with the
> Revolution program.

I have to say that I couldn't agree more strongly with Steve. Rev is
now at version 2.5 and in all this time there has never been a
comprehensive guide to the IDE, the very thing that made it
"revolution for the masses" over Metacard.

While people with some experience can "grok" out many features of the
IDE, there are still many things that are obscure. We've continued to
see questions on this forum about the Property Inspectors, the
Standalone builder, the script editor, the debugger, the menu builder,
the application browser, etc, etc.

Quite frankly, I am baffled by this. There has been so much energy put
into the references docs and the video tutorials, I can't fathom why
this fundamental aspect of the documentation has continued to go
missing. I can't think of one significant application that doesn't
explain its own workings in its documentation. It's sort of like
Microsoft releasing Word with documentation on writing in the English
language but virtually nothing on the operation of Word itself.

It seems the epitome of silliness to put this as a feature request in
Bugzilla. Can one of the Rev folks comment on why clear documentation
on the features of the IDE is not available?

--
Regards,

Howard Bornstein