Analyzing competitors - In this case Real Software

Jesse Sng jsng at wayoflife.org
Tue Mar 22 22:37:58 EST 2005

>Back in the 80's and 90's, when I was a strong advocate of OOP in
>general and Smalltalk in particular, I continually ran into the
>obstacle I came to think of as the IASFBSIDHTTT syndrome: I Am So
>Far Behind Schedule I Don't Have Time To Think. Whether dealing with
>in-house or out-house (never did like that "in-house" thing!)
>developers, the problem was the same: even if you could prove
>absolutely that this new language was more powerful and effective
>than my current tool set, I don't have time to evaluate it, learn
>it, and rebuild all my libraries and tools in it.
>
>dan

I always found that strange because when I was running my own firm,
you cannot NOT afford to check out something that's going to
revolutionize what you've been doing thus far - even if it means
obsoleting everything you've already done.

Not having the time to learn or relearn - is a CHOICE.

I've always hated writing lots of code, so I spent my energy writing
code to eliminate the need to write more of the same code in the
future.

Jesse