OT? Apache SSL Stack?

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Tue Mar 22 22:16:09 EST 2005

Rick,

It's worth noting that these instructions are for Mac OS X _Server_
> http://developer.apple.com/server/security_ssl.html

While these are for ordinary MacOS X (consumer/client/whatever)
> http://developer.apple.com/internet/serverside/modssl.html

mod_ssl is simply the Apache module (i.e. "plugin"). Apache SSL is a
separately maintained product, and will require a lot more work if you
aren't comfortable on the command-line. If you already have Apple's
Apache installed, you'll want to enable mod_ssl, _not_ try to replace
Apache with Apache SSL. Personally, I would use mod_ssl regardless as
it'll always work with a vanilla Apache installation.

See this quote
> Apache-SSL is not mod_ssl
> There appears to be some confusion regarding Apache-SSL and mod_ssl.
> To set the record straight: mod_ssl is not a replacement for
> Apache-SSL - it is an alternative, in the same way that Apache is an
> alternative to Netscape/Microsoft servers, or Linux is an alternative
> to FreeBSD. It is a matter of personal choice as to which you run.
> mod_ssl is what is known as a 'split' - i.e. it was originally derived
> from Apache-SSL, but has been extensively redeveloped so the code now
> bears little relation to the original.
>
> Apache-SSL continues to be developed and maintained, our main focus
> being on reliability, security and performance, rather than features
> and bells and whistles. I hope this makes things clear. (Adam Laurie).

Hope that helps- I know it doesn't solve your problem of creating a
stack, but you may have more success with the mod_ssl link that was
posted than what you were using, especially if you're not on MacOS X
Server. If it goes smoothly, you could probably hatch the shell
commands together into a Rev stack without too much trouble...

- Brian