Characters in names

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Mar 20 19:44:16 EST 2005

I can't find a list in the RR docs of legal characters for variable
names. Obviously letters of the alphabet (at least the ascii version)
and the numerals are OK, plus hyphen and underscore - but what else?
Clearly no character used as an operator, like \ or +, can be legal,
but maybe some others are: for example is period (full stop to me)
permitted? If I've missed a complete list, can someone please point me
at it?

TIA

Graham