How to remove the ugly focus border?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Fri Mar 18 02:19:43 EST 2005

On 3/17/05 11:48 PM, "MisterX" <b.xavier at internet.lu> wrote:

> Hi scripters,
>
> I keep trying but I keep seeing this ugly focus border on buttons in windows
> (non-XP) but it happens on XP without the xp styled buttons too.
>
> It's an UGLY dotted rectangle showing a few pixels inside the button between
> the text and the shadow border of the button. I tried all the options (hide
> focus border) and cant get rid of the thing...
>
> I found that removing the TraversalOn hides it but I still need that feature
> for keyboard control navigation...

Well, there you're stuck. The focus border that you see is that same one in
all Windows applications that support keyboard navigation among controls. So
if you want to be consistent with other windows apps, you'll have to live
with the ugliness because that's the "norm" in Windows.

> Another weird error is that the revdocs
> say "[Traversalon] control[s] whether the user can tab or click into a
> control." However if I remove the traversal on, I can still click a button!

That's definitely a bug. You can always click on a button with the
traversalOn set to false; it's just that you can't tab to it.

> Any ideas? Have I been Bugzillaed again? The focus border is not Ink aware
> either. It would be nice to remove the NT 4 clunky looking window interface
> design from my stacks once and for all ;)

It's not a bug, so you can't Bugzilla it... so you're stuck with either (a)
leaving the traversalOn and living with the focus on buttons in Windows, or
(b) turn the traversalOn off and roll your own tabbing and focusing.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com