Slow screen lock/unlock

Michael J. Lew michaell at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Mar 16 16:59:06 EST 2005

It takes about 260 milliseconds to lock and unlock the screen (OS X
10.3, slowish G4). Here is my test script that takes 2680
milliseconds to run:

on mouseUp
   put the milliseconds into startTime
   repeat 10
     lock screen
     unlock screen
   end repeat
   put the milliseconds-startTime
end mouseUp

If I comment out either the lock screen or the unlock screen then the
whole thing takes 2 milliseconds and if I comment out the unlock
screen line then it takes less than one millisecond.

Is it slow on other systems?
Is this some Quartz "feature"?
Is there something wrong with the way that Rev does screen locking or
unlocking?
How can I get around slow screen updates for animating lots of points?

Regards,
--
Michael J. Lew

Senior Lecturer