A curious fact about menuPick handlers

Graham Samuel graham.samuel at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Mar 16 06:58:50 EST 2005

I'm debugging a menu, and I made the mistake of not catching a
particular menuItem - i.e. there was no specific case for this item in
my switch statement in my menuPick handler, and I didn't have a default
case statement (why would I?).

I put a breakpoint on the first line of the menuPick handler, i.e. at

on menuPick

but when I invoked the menuItem that wasn't allowed for in my switch
statement, the handler never fired at all, so I couldn't see what was
wrong. Absolutely nothing happened - it's as if the engine had done a
quick scan of the menu items and said "this guy doesn't know what to do
with this item so I won't even start the handler". When I put a default
case in with a breakpoint, then the script opened for debugging at that
point.

I guess it's obscure, but I did not expect this to happen: maybe other
people  might get caught the same way.

Graham