true newbie

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Tue Mar 15 13:28:19 EST 2005

Hi John,

> Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:15:06 -0600
> From: "John Smiley" <jsmiley at cox.net>
> Subject: true newbie
>
> I am a true newbie, not just to revolution, but to programming. I was
> looking into having a somewhat simple ( I think ) software application
> developed and thought maybe instead I should take the time to learn
> how to do it myself. Especially since I have more time than money and
> enjoy learning how to do things.

Who is the application(s) going to be for? That might help in deciding
the right type of license.

> I have three questions:
>
> 1. Having absolutley no programming knowledge at all, other than
> learning Revolution, do I need to learn other things like Visual
> Basic, etc.

No, that wouldn't be helpful IMO. VB is good, but in fact, might
frustrate you as a beginner, and the IDE format is quite different.

> 2. Is there a book that lays out the basic or fundmentals?

Good question. What happened to the Rev printed manuals? Anyway, I
still use "HyperTalk 2.2, The Book" (very worn) which can still be had
new for $10 or so I think. Ask Jeanne DeVoto here (she was one of the
co-authors) <or go to the iHug site
<http://www.ihug.org/iHUGStore.html>

HyperCard is really the father of xCard authoring systems, many here
were once HC'ers. Having said that, you should definitely consider the
free video tutorials:

<http://support.runrev.com/tutorials/>

Dan Shafer's eBook "Software at the Speed of Thought - Vol. 1" which
you can purchase separately (watch linewraps):
<http://secure.runrev.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
Store_Code=SDREBWLP&Screen=PROD&Category_Code=REVNBOOK&Product_Code=BOOK
SASTV001>

-- and the online ezine <http://www.revjournal.com/>, especially this
section:
<http://www.revjournal.com/index.php?id=C0_15_1>

Otherwise explore the Useful Sites links:

<http://support.runrev.com/resources/useful_sites.php>

While at the Embassy site, since you are a beginner and I want you to
get off on the right foot, I especially want you to see this article as
I believe it to be one of the most important things a new scripter (or
_any_ scripter) should read:

<http://www.fourthworld.com/embassy/articles/scriptstyle.html>

> 3. Would someone like to help tutor me?

Well, you have a whole list of experienced users here. Just remember,
when you become one of these experts (shortly down the road ;-)), to
pay back your experience by contributing in the same way.

> For the the third question, I am looking for someone to help guide me
> through developing the application I have in mind.

Well, that would actually be the 4th question ;-) , but what do you
have in mind?

All the best,
Ken N.