OSX Menu Mystery

Graham Samuel graham.samuel at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Mar 14 12:09:50 EST 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:51:48 +0000, Kevin Miller <kevin at runrev.com>
wrote:

> Click Topics.  Click on "Menus and the Menu bar".  Its all there.

I was going to reply:

Kevin, I have no such topic: I have a topic "Menus" and there is only
one subtopic relating to OSX, and this only deals with the fact that
the menuPick for 'Quit' will not be executed under OSX. A search for
'Help' or 'Preferences' doesn't reveal anything. I guess I'm looking in
the wrong place.

But on Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:25:31 -0600, "J. Landman Gay"
<jacque at hyperactivesw.com> then wrote:

> I see it now, sorry. It is under the system Help menu rather than under
> the Topics button in the documentation. Might be a good idea to have
> all
> the topics in the system menu duplicated in the Topics docs button.
> That
> way people can find everything from either place. I know I overlooked
> it.

Well, so did I and this thread's been going on for quite a time with
nobody pointing this out. I didn't realise that there was anything in
the system 'Help' menu that wasn't in the docs: I'd never even thought
of looking there. In fact the explanation there is very full and clear,
but what is the idea of the disparity between the two sets of
information? There is clearly a partial overlap, but if there is a
policy behind it,  I haven't seen it explained anywhere.

Graham