Printing Question - Rephrased

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Fri Mar 11 10:51:37 EST 2005

Actually, most of this depends on the underlying API used for printing,
and on the type of printer involved.  The Win32 API, for example, uses
a virtual resolution equal to the perceived printer resolution; in
other words, a 300 DPI printer uses 300 pixels per inch when printing
normally from the Win32 API.  Mac OS X, OTOH, uses a graphics engine
based on PDF, so the imaging standards are much more flexible, and
quite a bit more independent of the printer resolution.

As for all the inches/dpi conversion stuff, when printing from Rev,
I've just been using the Rev notation:

print <card> from <topLeft> to <rightBottom> into <pageRect>

This means that I just assume the width of the card to equal the width
of the paper, then use Rev's tools to automatically scale everything to
the right size, regardless of the printer resolution.

Look at the following entries in the docs for some clues:

open printing command
print command
printPaperSize property