StripeList - was Alternating stripes in fields

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Mar 9 17:49:56 EST 2005

Escallating the nested quote quota, Scott Rossi wrote:

>>>Maybe I'm missing something: if multiple items are scrolled within a group
>>>by the group's scrollbar, how is there any synch problem?
>>
>>When they're all grouped together, the problem isn't synching.
>>
>>Instead, the problem becomes one of smooth scrolling.  Because fields
>>are more specialized than groups, they're buffering is apparently
>>handled in a much more optimized way.  For short lists one may never see
>>the difference, but with very long lists you'll find the responsiveness
>>of groups lags way behind fields.
>
> (I'm going to out-quote you... :-)
>
> OK, when the fields are grouped together you can get performance issues, and
> when they're not grouped together you synch issues, so it would seem an
> engine-level solution is still really what is needed here.

Ideally, everything would be in the engine.

But in the meantime, while we lobby RunRev to first address things that
can't be done in script at all (like normal line object behaviors with
the pointer tool, proper file filtering with "answer file" on OS X, the
ability to interactively create objects within groups, etc.), the nifty
thing about X's solution is that it's so lightweight that I'd be
surprised if the lag were noticeable on any system manufactured in the
last five years.

I've look at a number of ways to do this, and I must say I feel Mr. X's
clever method of using the hilitedLines of an underlying field is by far
the simplest to set up and offers the smoothest user experience thus far.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation