Learning Revolution

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Mar 8 17:21:43 EST 2005

On 3/8/05 2:19 PM, Mikey wrote:

> As long as I'm on the topic of overwriting the functionality of a
> particular keyword, I posted a question last week that has yet to be
> answered.  Does anyone know which search algorithm is being used in
> RR?  Searching seems sort of slow, leading me to believe that it isn't
> Boyer-Moore-Sunday.

Well, there is searching and there is searching. ;) The built-in "find"
command does a reasonable job. It isn't lightening fast, but it is quick
enough. I don't know what algorithm it uses. The old docs (before
version 2.5) were all housed in stacks and used the native "find"
command to search. It was fast.

To implement a more flexible system, in version 2.5 the stack-based
documentation was removed to XML files on disk, which are now loaded
into a one-card shell. There is no built-in Transcript command to search
files on disk, so it is being done by scripts. While Revolution is very
quick at reading files from disk, the searching itself has to be done by
marching through all the text and parsing the XML, and it is very slow.

I think the team is aware of this.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com