Learning Revolution

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Tue Mar 8 14:43:54 EST 2005

At 10:51 AM -0800 3/8/05, Richard Gaskin wrote:

>So maybe an interim process to start work on such index expansion
>might be an extension of the "user notes" facility, which would
>allow ad hoc additions to the search endex.  As related terms become
>evident, anyone could log them into a pool which is queued for the
>next release.
>
>Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Media Corporation

Richard! A light bulb went off in my brain - (ouch)

I think the best interactive model for learning Rev would be  the
wonderful online MySQL reference. I get almost more from the users'
comments than I do from the definitions!! Look at the comments,
examples, and strong opinions! The comments are so clean they must be
moderated! Perhaps different volunteers manage different areas of
expertise.

I want for Revolution what they got!

Here's a random example page. Scroll down for the comments.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/merge-table-problems.html
This site is a perfect example of class A web design and content
management. These guys eat their own dog food, for sure. PHP/MYSQL. I
wonder if the source code for that wiki is also open source? And
where can I get it?

The docs in a constantly-updated MySQL database! Cool. It even builds
docs in pdf and html form - also probably out of the database.

This list is friendly and very helpful and the combined brainpower of
many xtalk pros (may I say 'legends') here, but much of this wisdom
has to be repeated over and over again for new arrivals without
context from the past - and no organized repository that I know of to
the extent of MySQL's site.

Here's the full index to the docs:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/index.html

Also is there a reason this information needs to be hidden from the
public? i.e not on the free web? "software at the speed of thought"
could be also "documents updated at the speed of thought" ..

  Yes I know Rev is not open source...but..