Midi Communications

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Sat Mar 5 06:56:56 EST 2005

>> There is a stack called MIDIBuilder.rev that I downloaded from
>> somewhere. It creates MIDI files. I looked and there is some hex data
>> conversion stuff in it. Here is the web address:
>>
>> http://www.shopperturnpike.com/usefulsoftware/midibuilder.html
>
> You can also use UDI's "MakeSMF" Rev stack that creates a MIDI file
> from
> strings like you used to do in HyperCard:

MidiBuilder and Shakobox, if I understand correctly, build midi files
and then get quicktime to actually do the midi work. This would
certainly be useful in many situations, but what I'm hoping to do is
send hexadecimal instructions to external midi synths that will change
the sound they're making.

I've checked out Sarah's Serial Test Stack, which shows how to set up
the serialControlString and so-on, so now I need to experiment to see
if this will work with the midi drivers on my work computer. Midi is a
serial protocol, after all, and in my case, I have an old-style mac
serial midi interface with a USB to serial driver...it might just work!
I'll report on how I get on once I've had a chance to get to it.

Thanks to all for the (as usual) helpful suggestions.

Cheers,

Mark