TAOO/XOS for education

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Thu Jun 30 23:45:31 EDT 2005

Marielle,

There is nothing wrong with TAOO for education. As a matter of fact (usually
i pronounce this as smatofactly) my licensing terms (as i wish they would
be) is that TAOO be free for personal, non-commercial and non-for-profit
educational institutions. If this world needs anything, it's free education!
I've lived in the third world and i know that that is the main problem
there.

Anyway, regarding your links, there's no worry about copying my stuff, as i
said, TAOO is a semantical OS, not lexical. Lexical analysis is a sub-part
of TAOO which i've only explored poorly so far. ;)

But any lexical database can be added to the semantical-resolver later for
further intelligence into the semantical operating workflow. he he... I can
think of a few features for that already ;)

The usage of TAOO into the lexical analysis subject is, however, definitely
a powerful feature in TAOO since any object can be broken down into
different views - like its keywords or as Dan Schaffer put it: an analytical
view of the object.

Off Topic thought: I like Dan's term however it does limit the scope of
"views" since these can extend the object to other relationships out-of-file
or present a planning calendar for the user, etc...

As far as funding, this is not necessary to enter the TAOO team. Im more
than willing to share TAOO's benefits and resources to those who want to
share in the code and help extend it in a consistent way (whether for
personal or professional use or not).

Hopefully, those who would like to tap into the resources of TAOO (and not
just in terms of OOP or the framework but in the many many scripts,
knowledgebases, and features this environment presents), can also help fund
it with a small (or big) donations in exchange for a license or depending on
their contribution to the project.

One interesting avenue for you Marielle, would be a lexical analyser
"Manager" module in Rev which can be plugged in anyone's stacks later. I
have a few modules like that for math, stats, time-related data analysis or
operations, charting, palettes, graphics, files, web-content, code
translation, etc... The best example available on this kind of module on
MonsieurX.com is the geometry Interface library. Alas there is no cool
palette for it yet (though this should be fixed when i release my new set of
toolbars.

My principle in TAOO is that if you share your libs, i'll share mine. Add it
all together, it's a win-win situation for everyone: you contribute a small
percentage and gain the whole access. This was my open-source idea back in
the late 80's... The only requisite is that is should be plug-eable into
Taoo and add some value to the users.

I'll send the URL once i've made a "technical overview and how to get
started" document and an eventual demo this weekend. I've gained lots of
valuable insights from Dan to which im only too grateful for making TAOO
continue - i almost abandonned it whence he gracefully stepped in ;)

cheers
Xavier
http://monsieurx.com/taoo