Suggestion for correcting the IDE's script editor

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Jun 30 05:45:43 EDT 2005

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:

> At 12:27 PM +0100 6/29/2005, Alex Tweedly wrote:
>
>>> Or turn off the auto-format feature, for heaven's sake. It's not as
>>> though it were difficult, if you want to manually format scripts to
>>> your liking.
>>

>> It prevents "live-formatting" - but it still allows TAB to reformat
>> the entire handler, thereby destroying any manual formatting.
>

> Would it be too complicated to not press the Tab key nor choose
> "Format This Handler", if you don't want the script reformatted?

Yes, it would be,. It's like having the "Page Down" key be a "permanent
delete" key, and saying "Just don't press it".

Tab is probably the third most frequently used key on my keyboard (after
return and delete). It's used to move from one control to another, to
switch windows and apps and (in the 12 hours a day I use Rev but not the
script editor, or programs other than Rev) to separate items and
generally to format text. Trying to get my fingers to avoid it is indeed
difficult.

(Of course, I personally use it all the time because I *want* Rev's
auto-formatting - I just wish it was even more automatic; but I was
responding to your earlier suggestion from the POV of someone who didn't
want it :-)