A naive question about sub windoes/cards???

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Mon Jun 27 16:37:52 EDT 2005

Your question goes to the heart of Application design and modeling in
Revolution, which is a pretty broad topic.

However, there are a couple of short answers that might either
satisfy your current need or lead you to somewhere else that does.

It is entirely possible to include in one Rev stack/application cards/
windows that have different sizes and shapes from others. Doing so
requires scripting those cards so that they resize when they open and
close but it can be done. I personally never use this approach, but
I've seen some apps that worked quite smoothly that use it a lot.

In all likelihood, you're experiencing stacks/apps that are done in
the "new" Revolutionary way, that is, with a single mainstack which
opens sub-stacks for things like you're describing. Given the fact
that you can have a conceptually unlimited number of sub-stacks, all
or many of which may have just one card, this design approach has all
the virtues of modularity. You can open such sub-stacks so they look
and behave like dialog boxes or windows or even sheets on OS X.

Your second question about making all the controls behave as a single
entity is indeed answered by "groups." These are quite powerful and
worth spending time getting to understand. You can have multiple
groups, shared across all or multiple sub-sets of cards in your
stacks, so the possibilities are literally endless.

Enjoy Rev programming and know that there's a great community of
people here who are eager to help newcomers sort it all out.

On Jun 27, 2005, at 12:19 PM, Rob Beynon wrote:

> All,
>
> I've seen stacks where popup windows, complete with a full set of
> title bar tools and a menubar, can be made to appear, for example, to
> record preferences.
>
> Are these cards? Can new cards be made to be a different size to
> the first
> card in a stack? And, how does one make all the controls (radi
> buttons, fields etc) behave as a single entity (through a group?).
>
> This is a whole new level of RR programming for me, so some advice
> would be very helpful.

Dan Shafer, Revolution Consultant and Author
http://www.shafermedia.com
 From http://www.shafermedia.com/revolutionbooks.html